The deluxe bonus songs leaked tonight. This is my review:
1. Baby - Amazing song. Sounds like something that could fit on a "Relapse" sequel, and I love "Relapse"! Great beat, lyrics and hook. Vintage slim again! Score: 9/10.
2. Desperation – Another song about abusive relationships. It's like a very heavy hybrid of ”So Much Better” and ”Love The Way You Lie”. By that I mean, it's not as ”evil” lyrics as ”So Much Better”, it's more of a realistic, human situation in the sense of ”Love The Way You Lie”. This song has a very heavy beat tho and I really like this song. Score: 7/10.
3. Groundhog Day – One of the nicest beats Eminem has ever rapped on. He uses a very cocky voice to explain his evolution in Hip-Hop. This song is going right in my top 10 Eminem-songs of all time. The rhymes, flow, beat... everything is just perfect! Score: 10/10.
4. Beautiful Pain – This is the only song I didn't like of the bonus tracks. It's a very emotional song. Sia does a pretty good job, but I prefer Eminem doing his own hooks. Especially when it comes to emotional, personal songs. Score: 5/10
5. Wicked Ways – Very cool beat and this singer actually creates a nice mood for the song. This is a song about his obsession with words and I really like it. I have nothing to complain about. There is also a Ken Kaniff-skit at the end of the song where he makes his own version of “Berzerk”. Extremely funny! I love it! Score: 8/10.
The 4 out of 5 songs could easily replaced some of the song of the album to really make the album a classic in my eyes. If I could decide about the track-listing this is how I would do:
1. Bad Guy 2. Parking Lot (skit) 3. Rhyme Or Reason 4. So Much Better 5. Baby 6. Legacy 7. So Far... 8. Desperation 9. Rap God 10. Brainless 11. Wicked Ways 12. Groundhog Day 13. Asshole 14. Love Game 15. Headlights 16. Evil Twin / Ken Kaniff (skit)
If this was the official track-list and we didn't get the bonus tracks I would place this album above both ”Relapse” and ”The Eminem Show”.
The album leaked tonight. I'm sitting now giving it a forth spin. This is my early review:
I feel it's a "MMLP" with the "Recovery"-formula. It has some "Recovery"-ish beats and a lot of singers on the hooks. But the lyrics are very, very impressive. I like this ten times more then "Encore" and "Recovery". I'm not sure it beats "Relapse" tho. I have to give it a few more spins. I feel the album is very inconsistent because of the hooks and beats and some of the lyrics. I'll break this albums down like this:
1. Bad Guy - Amazing song. It gives me tears in the eyes and goosebumps. Truly a worthy sequel to Stan. Score: 9/10.
2. Parking Lot (skit) - Amazing skit. I wouldn't change it for anything and it really gives a "MMLP"-vibe (obviously). 10/10.
3. Rhyme Or Reason - Excellent. I love the sample and everything about it. Finally a song about his father and the way he twists it with his different personas is amazing. Score: 8/10
4. So Much Better - A song for the ladies. Very funny song. I love the good ol' misogynistic Shady. Nothing to dislike on this either. Score: 7/10.
5. Survival - This is where the album suffers. I like the lyrics on the second verse but the other verses, beat and the hook is awful. I can't stand the song and it fucks up the flow of the album. Score: 2/10
6. Legacy - A song about how he got into rap and his childhood. I'm not a fan on the hook but other then that the song is a masterpiece. Nice to hear a serious song about his childhood. Score: 8/10.
7. Asshole - Amazing verses but I'm not a huge fan of the beat but I guess it's OK. I hate the hook. I can enjoy this song because of the verses being really good and funny. Score: 6/10.
8. Berzerk - This song is awful. Not super bad beat but not my style. The lyrics and hooks is so boring. This song also fucks up the flow of the album for me. Score: 2/10.
9. Rap God - Not my type of beat but on this song it doesn't matter. I guess he had to choose a beat like this to flow in all these different speeds. He really shows he's the Rap God on this song. Score: 9/10.
10. Brainless - My favorite song of the album. AMAZING samples, beat, lyrics, flow. EVERYTHING. And a very funny, fitting hook is there to. Vintage slim, bitch! Score: 10/10.
11. Stronger Then I Was - A song for Kim, I guess. He can't sing. I like the production tho and the part where he's actually rapping is pretty good but the singing parts are awful. Pretty good lyrics and you feel his pain but... he can't sing! It's nice to hear a full song about Kim again, and a very honest one. Score: 5/10.
12. The Monster – The worst song of the album. I hate it with passion. The beat and hooks is just unlistenble. Even tho the lyrics touches on some interesting subjects I can't fully appreciate them because of the beat and hook. It fucks up the flow on the album again. Score: 1/10.
13. So Far... - This should be the first single. It's funny and catchy: everything "Berzerk" was supposed to be. I get “The Real Slim Shady” vibes from this. I like it a lot. Score: 8/10.
14. Love Game - I feel the same with this one as with "So Far...". I don't really like Kendrick on this one but Em is doing really good. The only beef I have with this one is where it's placed on the album. It's too similar to “So Far...” to be directly after it. But I like the song, indeed. Score: 7/10.
15. Headlights - It's nice with an honest song to his mother. The lyrics are brilliant. I love them. But why the hell is there a random pop-star singing on it? Why bring in a pop-star robot to sing on a song this personal? It really fucks the song up for me. It's fuckin' up the flow again, only because of the hook. It could’ve been a classic. Score: 7/10
16. Evil Twin – An amazing song again. The beat, hook and verses is amazing. He's so EVIL! It gives me goosebumps. Vintage slim shit right here. And he sums up the album nice at the end by saying he and his evil twin is the same person and as evil as the other. Really nice closure of the album (and catalog?). Score: 10/10.
To sum it up: If he did skipped “Survival”, “Berzerk” and “The Monster”, rapped more on "Stronger The I Was" and made a new hook for "Headlights" I would have liked it more than "Relapse". Maybe even more than "The Eminem Show". Now I feel like it's very close behind "Relapse" and far, far ahead of "Encore" and "Recovery" but it's inconsistency really hurts the album a lot and the pop-star hooks does to.
Yesterday Eminem announced his next full-lenght together with BeatsByDre: MMLP 2 (Marshall Mathers LP 2) set for release November 5th 2013, the same day as Call Of Duty: Ghosts is being released. Executive producers: Rick Rubin and Dr. Dre.
He also announced a new single dropping tomorrow (same day as the final Black Ops 2 DLC is going to be released!) with a music video. The song is called Berzerk and snippets of both the video and song is avalible though the announcement videos.
I don't know if this is good or not. As every Eminem fan, I am a huge fan of The Marshall Mathers LP and I have my doubts if he really can make a good sequal to such a classic. But then again, Eminem has suprised us before and a part of me says he knows what he's doing and that he know what responsibility he says by choosing a title like that. I am super amped about the album nevertheless. I think Survival is going to be a bonus track on the album or avalible though a COD: Ghost x MMLP2 bundle, hence the same release day. The new video and song sounds very Beastie Boys-inspired and I personally think that is a good thing. Also: EMINEM IS BLOND AGAIN! Slim Shady the maniac is back! (I hope...).
ANNOUNCMENT VIDEO 1:
ANNOUNCMENT VIDEO 2:
And while your at it, check out the beautiful, vintage-shady looking picture on his website: www.eminem.com
A new Eminem-song premierd on the multiplayer reveal of Call Of Duty: Ghosts last night. The song is called Survival and are featuring Liz Rodriguez on the hook and Khalil on the beat. We don't know what to think. Symphony In H was dark, vitty and sounded a little like the old Em. This however is sounding like a Recovery-song. We understand that he needed to make a song like this to fit the game, but maybe something like 'Till I Collapse would fit even better plus making him not compromise his style.
Eminem has always been bringing us what we least expected with his new material. He has always changed up his style dramaticlly for each album. For better or for worse. This time he sure did bring us what we least expected but he didn't change up his style.
Are we going to get Recovery 2.0? We sure hope NOT!
Hello! We are truly sorry for not updating this site in awhile! But now we have atleast a song to update with: "Symphony In H". We think it's great and it really got our expectations up, even tho it's sounds a tad old.
Let's pray it's a real indication of the overall sound of the album.
While we wait you can visit hiphophurray.forumotion.com and discuss Eminem aswell as other artists!!!
Okay, so it's not looking good for us, people! Eminem are most likely going to preform Recovery AGAIN on his european tour. "3 years later and with an album on the way, it makes no sense!" No it doesn't, you are right. But hopefully he will have a new single atleast by that time. It seems like Eminem are doing his best to confuse his fans, and it works!
One thing that caught my eyes was that Porter seemed to be so sure with the "doubt" but then "who knows". Maybe he's just playing tricks on us. The statement seems "set-up" in a way, but maybe I'm reading in to it too much. My advice is: Don't get your hopes up but like I've said: let's hope he's releasing atleast a single for the showes.
This is just a small update to tell you that Chris Rock posted this on May 7th:
Along with the words: "In the studio with Em don't sleep".
Does this mean that he'll feature on Em's album? If so, he won't be rapping (because obviously, he's not a rapper) so he'll most likely be on a skit. So Eminem will, unlike on Recovery, have skits on this album? YEY!
We are sorry to announce that the "Something BIG Is Coming"-promo was fake! Paul Rosenberg confirmed this on twitter:
We hope you guys understand that things like this can happen. We are going to be very careful from now on. But our theory is still very logical. So we can still expect an album-release in June! We will keep you updated!